Sunday, August 7, 2011

Revamped Kitchen!

Many moons ago, I made a roman shade for the side door in our kitchen. It was lopsided...it was ugly. I didn't take a picture of it, because honestly I was just too embarassed. Husband loved it, don't ask me why. I decided this weekend was the weekend that I would finally redo it. I followed a tutorial I found on pintrest and it was surprisingly easy....

For instructions easy no-sew diy roman shade.



The thing about a roman shade is, it has to be perfect. Pefectly square, straight edges, the rings have to be attached at the just perfect, correct spot...or chaos. Really, I could spend hours trying to make a roman shade from scratch and it would still be lopsided and not work. However, if you use a set of vinyl mini blinds as your template, it takes out a lot of the chance for error. My total investment on this project? Less than $8 (Mini blinds were $3.99 at Lowes, Fabric was 4.99/yard and I used about a half a yard)

Here was my inspiration:


I measured out my fabric, on the ground, since that's the only relatively large, flat surface in my house. I think I spent more time getting dog hair off the fabric as I did actually making the roman shade.
Greta is Mommy's good little helper.

Here is the finished product. Husband HATES it, he says the fabric is very 70's. I think it's different and adds a little pizzaz to a somewhat boring kitchen.

I thought if I added a valance, it would tie the room together...and Husband would see my vision...
Nope, Husband still hates it. I'm going to leave it up though, in protest. You see Husband has this ugly couch that I've been asking him to get rid of...so I'll take down my 70's disco decorations when he gets rid of the smelly frat house couch (which can be seen in the above picture of Greta).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have this pinned for the windows in my craft room. I can't wait to get started on them. BTW, I texted my friend today when hubs and I were out shopping and said "Why does my husband only like ugly things?" They just don't get it sometimes ;)

Stephanie said...

I know it's a busy pattern, but I didn't think it was that bad! Good luck with the shade, it was surprisingly easy to do!