Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Frat House to Family Home?

My little piece of heaven is an 1950's ranch house on a cul-de-sac in Brookhaven. I love it. We have the most fabulous neighbors that I would trade for absolutely nothing (well, I might trade one of them for a range rover..but I won't say who). Husband bought it in 2008 when he was still Boyfriend, and it required a strip down, build up renovation. Husband kept me involved because, lets be honest, I have an eye for color. But, there were a few items that were either kept or purchased that I will just say are not my fav. #1-The red rug. Now I dont have any issues with red rugs, but this one sheds worse than Greta Belle. And Greta sheds. A LOT. So on my list of purchases to make is a jute rug...but that's not what this post is about.


Now, I apologize in advance for these pictures, these were all taken with my handy, dandy iPhone, herein referred to as "PC", or Pre-Canon".

Our first big purchase was this puppy right here.I got a ton of flack from my married with children friends who told me this was about as stupid a purchase as they come. After all, who buys a white couch? Well, for the record, it is not white, it is "natural" AND its slipcovered, so unlike all the "smart folks" out there who did not buy a "white couch", mine can be washed. This couch required a bit of arm twisting on my part, Husband was hell bent on a khaki couch, which we could have gotten, but the wait time was 8-10 weeks and Husband has a problem with delayed gratification. I assured him we could purchase slip covers later (They just discontinued the couch, so now we can't unless we custom make them, but I haven't told husband yet)


I fell in love with this fabric at Hancock Fabrics back in April and just HAD TO HAVE IT. I thought it was perfect for accent pillows-it goes nicely with the natural color of the couch AND gives Husband the pop of Khaki he's been craving.

Side Note:Have you ever made a mistake that turned out to be pure genius? This fabric was that genius moment for me. It turns out, the fabric is for outdoor use...its softer than most outdoor fabric I've felt, but its durable, water resistant, fade resistant, mold/mildew resistant...it's basically Greta AND kidproof. I highly recommend outdoor fabric for indoor uses.

So then, I decide that I need another statement piece to tie in with my accent pillows, cue the project chair. She's a beaut, ain't she?
I found this chair at an estate sale in Tucker. Though, no one died, this most fabulous man with impeccible taste had sold his home and was selling everything (because he loves projects and wanted to start fresh). I snagged this Drexel chair for $35. It needed to be reupholstered and I needed a project.


All I need now is a new rug (jute) and for the frat couch to mysteriously vanish into thin air. Or burn. You know, whatevs.


No comments: