Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Picking a Rug is Driving me Crazy!

If you had talked to me a mere 24 hours ago, I would have told you that I had decided on our new living room rug. I had decided on an 8x10 jute rug I found on Overstock.com

8x10 Jute Rug at Overstock.com




It's a good price at $170.99, the right size, pratically free shipping and has pretty good reviews. After hours of googling, it was the closest to what I think I wanted, in the price range I was willing to pay. But 200 bones is still a lot to drop on something you haven't seen in person, and honestly, the only thing more confusing than calculating derivatives is figuring out natural fiber rugs.

Jute? Sisal? Mountain Grass? Seagrass? Jute-chenille blend? Faux sisal? I feel like I'm in college all over again, where I slepted thru or skipped all my classes and show up for the final exam without a clue as to how to use derivatives to calculate a production demand chart. True Story.

I stumbled upon this explaination at Pure Style Home Jute vs. Sisal vs. Seagrass which does a pretty good job of explaining the difference between all the "natural" rug options...it helped me decide that I probably need to stick with my original jute idea (since sisal tends to stain more easily and seagrass can be smelly, which I would never hear the end of from Husband if I bought a smelly rug) but it also opened up a WHOLE NEW can of natural fiberous worms.



Guess how many rug patterns there are? Hundreds of MILLIONS.


(Basketweave, probably my favorite, I think)


(Boucle, this one seems to be the most popular)


(The manufacturer calls this one "Rivera")

Seriously, folks, this is just a drop in the natural fiber rug bucket. There is diamond weave, herringbone, braided, small boucle, large boucle...for a lover of linens like myself, you would think I would be in textile heaven!

It's like when I was a kid and we'd go to wal-mart, and daddy would say, "pick one toy" and I would just sit there, paralyzed with the fear that I would pick the wrong toy...There was this baby doll that, when you bought it, you didn't know if it was a boy or a girl. I cried in wal-mart for an hour because I was terrified I would pick the wrong one and get stuck with a boy baby! (Now a days, I'd give anything for a little boy, not that girls are bad, but I think with the proper grooming, my son will be a professional athlete)

So, here I sit, paralyzed with fear that I will choose the wrong rug. Those that know me, know I generally don't get worked up about such purchases (Who else buys three wedding dresses? Me. thats who. But husband won't let me buy three rugs now that its "shared money") but this whole rug thing has me in a down right tizzy.

Will she bite the bullet and buy a dang rug already? Or will she continue to waiver finally explode out of sheer frustration? Will Marlena ever escape the grasp of the evil Stefano Dimera? Like sands through the hourglass, so too, are the days of our lives.

No comments: