Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I'm Super Serious, You Guys.

Ok, so I am not off to a fantastic start. You see, I typed out this fantastically sentimental post about how I am going to "start taking this thing seriously" and how I am so excited to document my "progression as a crafter"...



And then I accidentally deleted it. My B.


Basically, here is my deal. My (now husband) bought me a sweet little Janome sewing machine for my 25th birthday. Thrilled, I set out to make all of my Christmas presents that year...


Before I go any further, I must tell you a little about myself. 1.) I am ambitious. A little too ambitious. (I once convinced myself after a couple of hours of googling that I could totally finish my basement if I wanted. Like, frame, drywall, plumb, etc. Really, how hard could it be? I could even finish it in a weekend, like they do on HGTV). 2.) I have ADD. For real. I start out every project with detailed directions, hell bent on not doing half assed work. And then, I get bored. And then I start another project. And before you know it, I have 12 half finished projects and a very annoyed husband. My half assed projects include (but are not limited to) painting and re-screening our side porch (half is the original orange, the other half painted black), Greta's dog bed (my reasoning for not sewing up the final seam is it makes it easier to wash...but really, I was on my 3rd glass of Oyster Bay and there was a really good Dateline on) and, well, I'm going to just stop there before anyone gets the wrong idea.




So, back to my handmade Christmas gifts. My parent's always said that handmade is best because its made with love (or something like that). So, with that "handmade is best" notion in my head, I set out to sew the most beautiful aprons ever made! Armed with 4 yards of counterfit Lilly Pulitzer fabric, a pattern (that I had no idea how to read) and my trusty sewing machine, what came to be were 3 mediocre, crooked, size 3XL "aprons" (I use the term aprons very loosely). I like to think I've come a long way since then, but since I wasn't documenting, its hard to tell.


Transition...NOW!




While I doubt I'll be the next YoungHouseLove (I probably won't even be able to get my Husband to read...and too embarassed to let my family read), hopefully a blog will help me stay accountable for my projects. Who knows? someone might stumble upon (love that website...)my little place on the web and say, "By George! We've found ourselves the next Martha Stewart! Except, she doesn't cook (unless its a chicken and rice casserole)! Or clean (another story)! And she couldn't grow a tomato even if someone gave her a tomato plant, with the tomato already growing on it, and her sole responsibility in this world was to just water the tomato!"


Yes, I can just see it now!

No comments: