Sunday, July 24, 2011

DIY Jewelry Display Frame

So remember when I said I was going to make one of those jewelry display frame things? Well, here's where I'm at (with directions!)
Now, the first thing I did was paint the frame (I purchased just a frame from Hobby Lobby, it was kind of an oaky color, but since it was on clearance for $1.61-I bought it) and cut the cork board to fit inside the frame. I used cork because i had it...I'm sure you could use plywood or mdf). I also ironed my fabric and fused a lightweight interfacing. Medium weight probably would have been better, but I didnt have any handy.

Here, I have marked where I'll need to drill holes to attach the hardware.




The next step is to drill holes where you have marked the corkboard. I did not take pictures, because its pretty self explainatory.

Now, one of the things I couldn't figure out how I would know, is where the hardware would go once i covered the corkboard in fabric. Then it hit me-instead of covering the front of the board (where i made my drill marks) I would cover the back!! So, if you're reading this and have not yet started, you will make your drill marks on the back of the board :)

I then covered the cork board and stapled with my handy dandy staple gun, pulling the fabric tight and wrapping it kind of like a present.





Now, all you need to do is insert the bolts into the pre-drilled holes.



As the bolt was coming through the front side, I took my seam ripper and cut just enough so that the bolt could sneak through. I used my seam ripper b/c I didn't want the hole to be too big.



Voila! I still have to attach the other hardware, but I wasnt able to find any screws that would work, so Ill have to make a trip to Lowes...which is good, because this won't work...


***UPDATE*** I was able to resolve my hardware problem by using actual bolts. They were slightly shorter than what came with the knob...I also didn't need to use any nuts!

No comments: