Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Dr. Dizzle, PHD in Googling

Cyberchondria (or cyberchondriasis) refers to the unfounded escalation of concerns about common symptomology based on review of search results and literature online.



Did you know that two diet cokes a day doubles your risk of miscarriage? Did you know that drinking coffee causes placental abruption? Did you know that covering your food in tin foil leads to alzheimers? Vitamin D deficient women have a 50% greater likelyhood of getting breast cancer? Speaking of breast cancer, caffeine consumption is linked to fybroid adenomas, which women with fybroid adenomas are a greater likelyhood of dying of breast cancer? Did you know diet coke causes infertility? As does obesity and malnutrition. Did you know parents of children who have ADHD are more stressed out? Did you know children with ADHD have trouble crossing the street safely (seriously). Did you know Bieber really does cause a Fever?


Hello, my name is Stephanie, and I'm a cyberchondriac. As I drink my 6th diet coke of the day, i am overcome with guilt that my love of aspertame sweetened caffinated goodness will prohibit my ability to procreate. But then again, is it worth bringing a child into the world if you cant pass along your love of diet soft drinks?

Speaking of children, I traumatized my nephew by telling him "don't eat raw cookie dough, you'll get worms". I wasnt confident in my ability to explain to a 4 year that cookie dough contains raw eggs and eating raw eggs can cause salmonella poisoning...and since Salmonella kind of look like worms (they're rod shaped), I went with the most basic of description. Salmonella=Worms. He took me literally, and so I spent the next hour trying to calm a hysterical 4 year old who was CONVINCED he "TASTED WORMS!!!!!" My most recent google research indicates that my reference to cookie dough as having worms will create a lasting fear of cookie dough in my nephew.

Cyberchondria-1, Steffy Bad News-0

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Bahahaha.....I am a total cyberchondriac!! I always call myself a "google whore" because God knows I google EVERYTHING and EVERYONE!!!! I'm just nosey as hell!