Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Baby Names

subtitle: Why I'm not telling you what I'm naming my offspring


If you have asked me "Have you decided on names yet?" chances are, I've lied to you. I didn't do it on purpose, but I am not 100% sure how to handle the question. You see, we have decided to keep our names a secret. Why, you ask? Well, a few reasons.

First, everyone knows everyone named something. Chances are you know a Jessica or a Sarah, a John or a David, and, there's an even greater chance that you have an opinion about their name. Maybe they have a stripper name like Candi or Kim (like Zolciak, hah!), or maybe every person you know named Lindsey or Lauren are just horrible people. I don't want the first thing out of someone's mouth to be "Oh, your naming your boy Zack? I knew a Zack, once, he was a real ass" (for the record, my daddy is Zack, so I'm quite partial to the name) or "Greta is an ugly girl's name". And lets be honest, some of you would think it, but not say it, but others, well, your filter is questionable. I happen to think that Husband and I have picked out the most perfect names and I don't care what you think and once the baby is here, your opinion won't change my mind.


Second, if you know us, you will probably know not long after November 30th, whether or not we're having a boy or a girl. Don't you want some suprise? Better yet, don't you think its fair that Husband and I have something that we can share when we're ready to share? Like, everyone has seen a movie when the dad walks out of the delivery room and proudly shouts "Its a Boy!" and everyone celebrates? Well, announcing a name for us is sort of like that, like we get to send out the proud parent emails that declare our new baby has arrived and his/her name is ___________!!!

So if I've told you we're thinking about Elizabeth for a girl and Bennett for a boy, well, thats a lie. Pretty much any name you've heard out of my mouth the past 15 weeks is probably a lie. Or is it? Guess you'll have to wait to find out.

No comments: