Monday, September 26, 2011

Compromise

Sorry it's been so long, I am a terrible secret keeper and I just KNEW if I blogged, I'd end up spilling the beans.

No, I'm not saying anything yet, but I will give you a hint-it has something to do with the house!

I saw a picture on pintrest that had me thinking about compromise.

Source: bhg.com via Leigh on Pinterest



Now, you are probably thinking to yourself, "Why, Stephanie, does a picture of a cabinet organizer with a mixer, juicer and toaster have you thinking about compromise?".

Well, dear reader, I am glad you asked.

When my husband proposed to me, visions of kitchen aid stand mixers, toaster ovens and waffle makers danced through my head. I was not a bride set on finding the perfect dress (though if you watch "Say Yes to the Dress-Atlanta", you would know that it was not an easy decision for me) or the perfect venue, oh no. This bride wanted to register and STAT. I needed to turn his batchelor pad into a bona fide family home, with vases filled with flowers and potpurri on the back of the toilet. My house was going to smell like cinnimon and I was going to bake things, gosh darn it.

My husband obliged me for a little while, saying things like "Its your wedding, darling, pick out the china/crystal/appliances YOU want", and so I did. Everything was going swimmingly, I watched in amazement and things began disappearing off my list like free ice cream at a fat kids camp, including my beloved toaster oven.


I had wanted a toaster oven for as long as I can remember-they make fantastic cheese toast (which is the only kind of toast I will eat) and are wonderful for making nachos, pizza rolls and the like.

With the news that my toaster oven had been snagged off the registry, I came home, giddy as a school girl, and exclaimed "WE'RE GETTING A TOASTER OVEN!! THE MOST FANTASTIC TOASTER OVEN EVER!" Husband did not share my sentiment. He promptly called his mother to lament over how he "really didnt want a toaster oven", how "we just didnt have room for a toaster oven" and how "he only liked regular toast, which makes a toaster more pratical". He went on to say that what he really wanted was a coffee maker....


Well, it turns out his mom had purchased the toaster oven and upon hearing this, took it back :( and got a coffee maker. I'll admit, I was bummed. My dreams of perfectly toasted, melted cheese toast disappeared and were replaced with a (very attractive) coffee maker that I never use (I don't drink coffee). But it makes Husband happy, so I figured it was time to put on my big girl panties and deal with it.

So back to the picture. When I see this picture I think of my beautiful artisan stand mixer (that I LUUUURRRRVVVEEE) and where I believe a toaster should be-hidden. Because if it were hidden in the cabinets, there would be plenty of room for my toaster oven. It reminds me of what is and what will never be.

Maybe one day I will have the stainless steel beauty I dream of, maybe one day, I will make pizza rolls without having to preheat the oven, but until then, dear cheese toast and convenient pizza rolls, I will dream of you often. Compromise, that's what marriage is all about.

No comments: